At-Home Date Ideas from an Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Have you ever tried to make a reservation for Valentine’s Day at any restaurant? It’s nearly impossible! Besides, I’m a total introvert and would much rather spend date night at home with my partner than in a crowded restaurant. Now, for those of you reading this who are single as ever, find your besties and do these with them instead because I’ve compiled a list of the best ways to spend Valentine’s Day (or any date night) at home! Don’t let the romance of these ideas limit you to doing them with a romantic partner, they’re even fun solo. So, without further ado, here are my favourite at-home date ideas.

1. Paint night

This one is so popular on my TikTok right now, and for good reason! Paint nights allow you to show off your creative side or laugh about how terrible you are at painting together. For my most recent paint night with my partner, we went out to the dollar store and bought cheap canvases that came with little paints and a brush from the kids’ section and brought them home to do while we watched a movie. We had a blast and had to get creative with blending colours to get the ones we wanted because they only gave us four to work with.

1. Cook a new food

Anyone else love food? Yeah, me too. I love trying my hand at making new foods; my Pinterest food board is full of recipe ideas. If your Pinterest looks anything like mine, you could pick one at random or let your partner pick one and try to make it. If it doesn’t go well, order takeout, and if it does, you’ve got a new meal to add to your list of recipes you can make alongside boxed mac and cheese and ramen packets like every other university student.

1. Build a fort

Okay, I know this sounds childish but hear me out. You could build a fort over your couch or bed, pack it full of snacks and your laptop, and watch movies together under it. Add some fairy lights if you’re feeling fancy, and cuddle up together for a cozy night in!

1. Movie marathon

I’ve mentioned movies in this list a few times, and I’m probably not done mentioning them. I think that movie nights are such a low-key date idea that requires minimal prep and planning, which makes them a great addition to some of these other ideas. If you want to make it the centre of date night, try adding a few movie-specific things like tickets or a DIY concession stand filled with all your favourite movie snacks and drinks. This date is also versatile in length, you could watch just one movie or five, it’s up to you! If you’re looking for some romance recommendations you both will enjoy, I’m a fan of The Proposal for a more rom-com feel or Mr. and Mrs. Smith for a romance with some action. I also enjoy a good marathon, where Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter make for a longer date night.

1. Play a game

This one is super flexible which is something I love about a lot of these ideas. You can do as much or as little as you want to make these ideas come to life depending on what you and your partner want to do. Want a screen-free night? Play a board game or card game! Want to demolish your partner in Mario Kart (which is my personal fave!) or another video game? Go for it! You pick from what you have and what you have the time and energy for and run with it.

1. Candlelight dinner, get fancy!

Want the experience of fine dining without all the people? Make a fancy dinner at home. Get dressed up, order takeout if you don’t want to cook, set the table with your nice dishes, light some candles, and boom! Fancy date night without having to deal with a server coming to your table just as you shoved a huge bite of food in your mouth to check on things.

1. DIY spa night

This is a great way to reconnect with your partner while improving yourselves at the same time. A spa night is super fun and a little messy. You can make your own facemasks or buy some from your local drugstore, light some candles, fill the bathtub, and pour some wine. You can relax together and talk about anything and everything, just don’t forget about your facemasks!

1. Create a playlist that encompasses your relationship

Music is such a beautiful way for people to connect. People have been making playlists for their partners since the dawn of time (or at least since you could download music). Building a playlist together with all the songs that remind you of your partner and them of you is such an underrated love language and a great way to connect when you aren’t together. You can listen to it and think of them and hear the love messages woven between the words and the beat.

Alison Chase

Waterloo '26

Hi! I am in my third year of Psychology, focusing on child development. I love reading, dancing, listening to country music, and travelling.