Six Shows & Movies to Watch to get into that Fall Mood 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I definitely don’t think I’m alone in saying that fall is my favourite season of the year; between the beautiful autumn colours, festive holidays, and crisp cool weather, it’s no wonder that so many people eagerly anticipate its arrival every year. With the autumn season racing by and Halloween fast approaching, I’ve decided to compile a list of movies and TV shows that are on my fall watchlist every year!

6. Coco (2017)

Disney’s Coco follows the adventures of Miguel, a twelve-year-old boy, whose love for music leads him on the adventure of a lifetime through the Land of the Dead where he meets his deceased ancestors, who help him uncover the truth about his family’s history. The heartwarming and family-oriented nature of Coco makes it a great fall pick to snuggle up to and enjoy with friends, family, and other loved ones. The background visuals that highlight the beauty of the fall holiday of Dia De Los Muertos also make Coco a perfect movie to watch during the fall season!

5. October Sky (1999)

rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

October Sky is a biographical film that tells the true story of a man named Homer H. Hickam Jr. and how his passion for rocket-building came to be. The film follows Homer and his group of friends as they strive to build and launch their own rocket after being inspired by the 1957 launch of the Sputnik rocket. Throughout the film, Homer has to deal with a series of challenges like his family’s opposition and lack of resources to build the rocket. Not only is October Sky a great autumn movie because of the (quite obvious) fall setting of the movie, but the central themes of family and community support also make it an enjoyable and emotional watch, making it perfect around fall holidays such as Thanksgiving.  

4. Scream Queens (2015-2016)

Moving away from the cozy and family-oriented vibes that are often associated with fall, Scream Queens is perfect for those who instead tend to gravitate towards the spooky and horror-themed elements of fall! The show, which is a slasher-comedy, revolves around a university sorority house that’s being targeted by a masked serial killer. As members are murdered one by one, the remaining sorority sisters attempt to uncover the mystery of who the killer is. Scream Queens’ overall fall aesthetic, such as certain episodes having an explicit Halloween theme, and the numerous references to classic horror films, making it a must-watch for the fall season, especially as Halloween approaches! 

3. Mean Girls (2004)

Mean Girls phone scene
Lorne Michaels Productions

Though this movie is a well-known classic, I don’t think it’s given its due recognition for what it really is: an amazing fall movie. Mean Girls follows the story of sixteen-year-old Cady Heron, who spent her whole life being homeschooled but is now starting the school year at an actual high school. The movie showcases her struggles in getting used to the new environment, as well as her involvement with the queen bees of her new school. Though Mean Girls is known for being an iconic movie which touches on the important topics of teenage girlhood and navigating high school, it’s also an amazing watch for the fall season. The movie starts out in September, with classic back-to-school vibes, references to the fall season (October 3rd, anyone?), and some great Halloween scenes!

2. Anne of Green Gables (1985)

To many, Anne of Green Gables may be more recognizable as an iconic Canadian novel — which would also be a great fall read — however, the film adaptations of the novel serve as a cozy flick to watch as the leaves outside start to turn. The story, which takes place in the late 1800s, centers around an orphan named Anne Shirley, who’s mistakenly sent to live with two elderly siblings who are expecting a boy, named Marilla and Matthew. Though Marilla originally wants to send Anne back, she is won over by the girl’s endearing personality. Though there are many different film adaptations of Anne of Green Gables, I’d recommend the 1985 version for its overall cozy aesthetic which is seen through the charming rural village setting that the story is set in. The beautiful landscape, which includes scenes that showcase the beautiful autumn foliage, makes the Anne of Green Gables film adaptation an amazing choice to usher in the autumn season.

1. Gilmore Girls (2000-2007)

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

At this point, it’s safe to say that Gilmore Girls already has a reputation for being a fall classic, especially with how popular the show has become on TikTok and Instagram. The show revolves around the mother-daughter duo of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore and explores their reactions to life’s challenges and their relationships with each other and those around them. Gilmore Girls is the quintessential autumn show for many reasons and not only because it seems to somehow always be fall in the show. Gilmore Girls’s cozy small-town aesthetics, homages to fall holidays such as Thanksgiving, and overall feelings of warmth and comfort through the show’s portrayal of relationships between family and friends makes it my top pick for a fall viewing and an absolute must-watch for anyone who’s looking to immerse themselves in the essence of the autumn season! 

As we find ourselves in the middle of the fall season, with its falling leaves and cozy intimate days of comfort, this list of movies and shows serves as a perfect way to pass the time, while also taking full advantage of the beauty that the autumn season brings along with it. Enjoy! 

Andra Lang

Waterloo '28

Hey! My name is Andra Lang, and I'm a first year student at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada. I'm majoring in Political Science and business, and have aspirations of being a policy analyst after university. In terms of hobbies, I love to draw, listen to music, and go on long walks with my two dogs. I also love to write, though I rarely have the chance to write in a less academic form, which is why I was so drawn to Her Campus in the first place!