Eggs
Eggs
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness

5 Protein-Dense Foods to Power You Through This Exam Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I don’t know if you’ve heard, but protein is like totally it. It’s a saviour for the busy, powerful, strong, and smart; it’s giving girlboss. There is plenty of scientific research on the health benefits of eating protein: it has been proven to boost metabolism, maintain weight loss, lower blood pressure, build muscle, and help lose fat. As a very busy student, I can personally attest to the improvement in my energy levels after beginning to prioritize my protein intake. Prioritizing protein has also changed my day-to-day life. I’ve noticed better mental clarity, increased ability to focus, increased mood, regulation of my eating patterns, better sleep, increased physical performance during exercise and, in turn, more muscle definition! Disclaimer: by no means am I a professional or a registered dietitian. Everybody is different, and not everyone has access to all foods. What works for me may not work for you, but if you are curious, it may just be worth a shot. As a passionate foodie, it is my mission to share some of my favourite protein-dense food staples and how I like to prepare them, in hopes of helping others. Specifically, here are five ways you can up your protein to power you through exam time.

1. Chicken Bone Broth

Hold-up. Yes, you read that right. This one may not be for the faint of heart, but it doesn’t have any atrocious taste that you might be imagining. Quite honestly, I have come to swear by it. Just like chicken, beef, or vegetable broth, chicken bone broth can be used in so many dishes like soups or rice. In just one cup of bone broth, there is, on average, 10g of protein. Chicken bone broth also contains a good amount of collagen, which is a protein that our bodies produce for healthy skin, cartilage, and bones. As we age, collagen production decreases, and obtaining it through our diets becomes increasingly important. My favourite ways to cook with chicken bone broth include using it as a base for soups, cooking my quinoa or lentils in it, cooking my rice in it, and adding it to pasta sauces. If you are someone who already eats some of those foods, swapping bone broth for the other broths/ water you may be using to cook with is a great option to increase your protein intake. During exams, finding the time to cook and sometimes eating in general can be hard. Try making yourself a big batch of soup or quinoa made with bone broth, and portion it off for quick and easy multiple meals to eat throughout the week!

2. Egg Whites

Are you a breakfast kind of person? Or maybe breakfast for lunch or dinner? If so, adding egg whites to the eggs you may already be cooking can totally increase your protein intake. In one large egg, there is usually around 6-7g of protein, and adding even just one-third of a cup of egg whites can add around 10g of protein. Some of my favourite ways to use egg whites are: making egg white bites in muffin tins, adding them to an egg scramble with vegetables and potato, having them on toast with everything but the bagel seasoning, and adding them into any kind of fried rice. If you find that your breakfasts during exams are lacking in the energy department and you are looking for a more powerful way to start your day, try adding some egg whites!

3. Greek Yogurt

In ¾ of a cup, most greek yogurts boast around 15-19g of protein. This is one of my favourite protein-dense foods because of how versatile it can be. I like adding greek yogurt to smoothies for a quick snack, to parfaits or oats, and even making the viral yogurt bark with fruits and chocolate pieces in it. Swapping regular yogurt for greek yogurt is a great way to increase your daily protein in some of the foods you may already enjoy! Smoothies are super quick and can be brought to class or study sessions, and they are my favourite way to use greek yogurt. As an added bonus, yogurt contains a lot of probiotics that are good for your gut health and digestion!

4. Red Lentils

It took me until this year to venture into cooking lentils, and I have to say it has really changed my meal game. Lentils are a great source of protein, and red lentils are my favourite of the variety. Most standard serving sizes of lentils contain around 8-10g of protein, which is a great addition to any meal you may be having. Red lentils are great in soups and can be cooked with a variety of spices, pastes, broths, and sauces to add different and amazing flavours. My favourite way to prepare lentils is to start by sauteing root vegetables, adding some bone broth, harissa paste, and then the lentils. I continue by simmering the mixture until the lentils are cooked. Then, I add this soup to a blender for a creamy,spicy, soul-warming soup. With bone broth and lentils, this vegetable soup can have around 20g of protein!

5. Cold-Cut Meats

Last but not least, most cold-cut meats are a great, easy, protein-dense snack or addition to sandwiches. My personal favourite is Tuscan roasted ham, which has around 12g of protein per three slices, and I like to add it to the breakfast sandwiches I have most mornings. Cold cuts may very well be something you already enjoy daily, and if not, I urge you to realize their protein potential. Beyond just having them on sandwiches, cold-cut meats from grocery store delis or packaged can be great when heated on the stove, served with breakfasts, and cut up into egg scrambles. Since they generally keep well in the fridge, they are great to have on hand for a quick snack or a super easy addition to meals during the hustle and bustle of exam time. There are a variety of cold-cut meats out there to experiment with, and some of the leaner high-protein varieties are chicken, ham, and turkey. When it comes to my favourite way to eat the Tuscan roasted ham that I love, it needs to be in an egg, ham, cheese, and spinach breakfast sandwich with hummus. Try playing around with cooking cold cuts, or just adding them to your favourite sandwiches to up your protein intake this exam season!

Victoria is a second year science undergrad at Western University. She is a lover of organics, "soul food", and people who make you laugh. A few of her passions are writing, music, fashion, food & holistic medicine.