Life > Experiences

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas: The Guide to Kicking Off the Christmas Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

For those who celebrate Christmas, deciding when to break out the candy canes, turn on the Hallmark movies, and listen to Mariah Carey can set the tone for the rest of the holiday season. December 24th and 25th are the main events, and with the countless songs, movies, decorations, and treats, the length of the celebrations can start as early as you want.

There are a number of chances in the weeks leading up to the big day that can mark a time to start celebrating. For some, Halloween can signal the end of the spooky, fall vibe and the beginning of the cozier festive holiday vibe. Others will wait to celebrate until December.

Getting into the Christmas spirit looks different for everyone. Listening to music while putting up small decorations around the house, or going all in and decorating their tree. One friend of mine wears an ugly Christmas sweater every year on December 1st to kickstart the season, while another said they watch Santa Clause is Coming to Town with their dad every year. With streaming services at our fingertips, Christmas movies have never been so accessible. You can start your holidays with a classic movie, like Elf or Home Alone, or with a brand new (albeit typically ultra-cheesy) Christmas rom-com like Falling for You starring Lindsay Lohan.

Here is my take on some of the more common holiday season start dates, informed by personal experiences and opinions from a small survey I did amongst my friends.

November 1st (After Halloween)
This is the earliest pick, before most of the Northern Hemisphere has even had temperatures dip consistently below 10॰C. It’s probably a bit too early for hot cocoa by the fire and festive sweaters, but not necessarily too early to fill your room with Christmas decorations to brighten your mood before finals.

December 1st
Another common choice is to start celebrating on December 1st. The weather has probably dropped consistently by this point, and if you live somewhere that gets snow, there is a better chance of snow sticking to the ground and buildings, making your town look more like Christmas. One downside to this starting point, however, is that Christmas can come up really fast, with just over three weeks to celebrate.

Honourable Mention – After American Thanksgiving
For those who live in the U.S. and celebrate Thanksgiving, the end of Thanksgiving and Black Friday can be a great marker to get started. Thanksgiving is the end of the fall season and the smooth transition from fall to holiday! However, this option is not as popular for those of us living north of the border; though, some still wait for Black Friday.

November 12th (after Remembrance Day)
Finally, my personal choice and the most common among my friends is November 12th. It avoids some of the shortcomings of the other options. It’s not too early that you get burnout and not too late that you lose time to do all the festive activities. It also shows respect for the tribute on Remembrance Day, as it requires people wait to celebrate Christmas until the day has passed. This year, both the first snowfall and the London Santa Claus Parade fell on November 12th so it was a great day to begin the festive cheer.

The great thing about Christmas is that there is no right or wrong way to celebrate; you can start way earlier or later than any of the times I mentioned. However and whenever you choose to celebrate, the holidays are a time to spend with loved ones to show them how much you care. So reflect on the past year and look ahead to the next! Happy holidays everyone.

Olivia is a fourth-year student at Western University studying Music and English. When she's not writing an essay the day it's due, you can find her reading the latest BookTok book, listening to music, or binge-watching TV shows.