Style > Beauty

The Best Lip Products to Help You Survive Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Winter can be a great season, with the pretty and sparkly snow, fun winter activities, and cups of hot cocoa. But, if there is one key to enjoying these activities, it’s keeping your lips hydrated to avoid the dreaded chapped lips that can come all too easily this time of year. Here are my tried and true, must-have lip products for surviving the winter.

For Intense Night-Time Moisture: These lip balms are intense, heavy, and sure to guarantee you will wake up with smooth and hydrated lips. 

1. Dr. Paw Paw Overnight Lip Mask This lip mask is a thick balm with lots of great natural ingredients like pawpaw fruit and aloe vera juice. Whenever I use this mask at night, my lips always feel extra hydrated and plump in the morning. If you are sensitive to fragrances, this product is perfect for you, as it doesn’t have any strong scents!
  2. Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask This mask is a bestseller for a reason. It has a heavy emollient texture and light scent that has never let me down! Your lips will feel so soft after using this mask. It also comes in a variety of different scents, from gingerbread to sweet candy, so you can choose a scent that will enhance your night-time self-care. 

For Daily Wear: A bit lighter, these lip products are nourishing and can double as make-up to help keep your lips healthy while also looking great.  

1. Tower 28 ShineOn Jelly Lip Gloss This lip gloss is my favourite for feeling put together and pretty, while still taking care of my lips. The formula is slippery and not sticky at all! It provides a nice shine to your lips and is hydrating enough to replace a daytime lip balm. This lip gloss comes in lots of fun colours too, so you can use a bright pink for a fun night out or opt for the clear gloss on the day to day!
  2. Rosebud Perfume Co. Salve I’ve repurchased this lip balm many times throughout the years. It’s hydrating but lightweight and comes in an adorable little vintage-esque tin. This lip balm is perfect for the daytime because it has a slight pink tint that will help accentuate your natural lip colour while still being nourishing and calming on the lips. It has a light, pleasant rose scent which makes applying the balm even more satisfying

With these lip products, you’ll be ready to enjoy all the fun winter has to offer without having to worry about feeling uncomfortable because of dry or cracked lips!

Abby Jenkins

Western '23

Abby is in her third year studying Global Development at Western's affiliate college Huron. In her free time, Abby loves trying out new recipes, reading, spending time with her dog, and going for hikes.