Wellness > Mental Health

Simple Reminders for Finding the Motivation to Get Through Exam Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

For students, the months after reading week are filled with midterms, tests, assignments and the possibility of yet another mental breakdown popping up. Known as “no-fun” in November and December, students will spend the duration of these months stressing about finding the time to complete all of their final tests and assignments, which are, of course, all due in the same week. With exam season approaching, it can be difficult to find the motivation to get through it. Here is some inspiration that can help you find the motivation and energy to push through exam season!

Think about enjoying the winter break headed your way!

Obviously, students are looking forward to having a couple of weeks off. Imagine heading home after a completed semester and putting your feet up by the fire, surrounded by the people you care about or snuggling up with your dog or cat that you haven’t seen in a while. It sounds pretty peaceful and relaxing to me! The winter break is the perfect time to enjoy the season by going out and participating in winter activities such as sledding, skating, skiing, snowboarding, hiking and snowball fights. You could also stay in to watch your favourite holiday movies, eat your favourite comfort foods and spend time with family and friends.

Imagine having time for some overdue self-care!

After you get through exam season, you will have lots of time available to use for yourself.  When you’re stressed about school, you don’t prioritize yourself enough. Finishing this semester will give you an opportunity to do just that! Maybe that’s curling up with a good book, having a spa night, playing video games, catching up on your favourite TV shows or maybe it’s just catching up on your sleep.

You’ll have time to celebrate!

When you finish the term, you can celebrate! Pop open a bottle of champagne (which is what I’ll be doing) and have a good time! Not only will you have time to celebrate the end of “no-fun” November and December without the anxiety and stress of meeting deadlines, but you can also look back and reflect on all your accomplishments and feel proud that you survived the semester.

If you’re feeling unmotivated at the end of term and are enduring the misery of seemingly endless assignments, try to remind yourself of both the little and big things you’re looking forward to. Use them as motivation to push yourself through another crazy, stressful exam season. You got this, even when you think you don’t.

Ashley Barry

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Hey hey! I'm a first-year student at Laurier, working towards my BA in English. I'm an avid reader, wine consumer and vinyl record collector. I also enjoy long strolls through the bookstore — always at the expense of my bank account — and attempting to make Pinterest-worthy lattes with my espresso machine. I'm a passionate leader and writer and am ecstatic to be part of Her Campus!