Bagels
Bagels
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Life > Experiences

A Love Letter to Einstein Bros. Bagels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Einstein’s has been a monumental part of my college experience and I don’t think anything will ever compare to how important it is to me.

Bagels
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

I would venture to say that Einstein Bros. Bagels is a cornerstone of the college experience, at least at Winthrop. Our Einstein’s was closed for the first three weeks of this semester and the world has never seemed more bleak than it was during that time. When the Winthrop Dining Instagram account posted that it was closed at the beginning of January, they garnered comments from students stating how disappointed they were and how it would ruin their first day of class traditions. These comments and the reactions of the student body just reiterate my point: Einstein’s is important to us!!!

When it opened back up, they had an entirely new staff and I posted a YikYak saying “you guys better be ANGELS to the Einstein’s workers today”. It got 70 upvotes. It’s hard enough to work in the food service industry, but to work at the most popular place to get food on a college campus during the morning rush must be incredibly exhausting and is definitely made more stressful by hurried students trying to get to class on time. 

You best believe I was in that line as fast as possible after my first class when it reopened. I took one bite into my egg and cheese on asiago and it felt like the sun was already shining brighter than it was a moment before. Einstein’s is one of the only places on campus where I have engaged in spur of the moment conversations with my acquaintances and one of the only places on campus I have been genuinely excited, giddy even, about getting food from. The reopening of Einstein’s was highly anticipated by the entire Winthrop community (at least among the people I know) and students were very publicly disappointed by its closure.

Cafe Bagle Coffee Laptop
Michele Hu / Spoon

People congregate around Einstein’s and it frequently has lines out the door. While this can be an inconvenience, it is also part of what makes the atmosphere so unlike anywhere else on campus. The conversations I have had and overheard in the Einstein Bros. Bagels line are unmatched and it felt like the heart and soul of Winthrop was missing while it was closed. I hate decision making, but deciding between a sesame or asiago bagel and whether I want a cream cheese spread or an egg and cheese sandwich is the most integral part of my day most mornings. 

Once, my roommate was keeled over for hours in intense stomach pain because of her Einstein’s garden avocado bagel, but you know what? She still keeps going back. The absolute delicacy of an Einstein’s bagel is unlike anything else. Are they the best bagels in the world? Definitely not. Is the drink selection amazing? No. Is Einstein’s avocado spread absolutely rancid sometimes? Yep! Are the egg whites suspiciously slimy? Also yes! But something about that little bagel shop does absolute wonders for my mental health every time and I hope the workers know how much they mean to me. Their dedication to their craft and supporting the campus atmosphere is deeply appreciated. Once, I saw an intense screaming match break out between the old workers and the store closed for “technical issues” until the next day. I imagine carrying the mental wellness of the entire student body on their shoulders probably got to be too much. Regardless, it became a core memory of that semester and made me love Einstein’s that much more.

In conclusion, live, laugh, love Einstein Bros. Bagels and all its strange and wonderful quirks. I hope everyone gets to experience a love like this one day.

*Author’s Note: I have just been informed by my roommate that Einstein’s full name is actually Einstein Bros. Bagels. I was under the impression that the full name was Einstein’s Bagel Bros and I am quite upset by this revelation. Maybe I will rescind this love letter.

Ella Johnson

Winthrop '26

I’m a sophomore economics major with a minor in sociology!