Life > Academics

Advice I Would Give Myself as an Incoming Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

6 ways to make the most of your college experience

If there is one day I remember best from high school, it was the day I got accepted into my dream college. In my inbox was a welcome email from UW-Madison. I immediately jumped out of bed and ran across my house to tell my mom. She pulled out this big box filled with UW-Madison souvenirs and apparel. Needless to say, she might have been even more excited than I was. 

As an incoming freshman, I wish I had known a few things before arriving on campus. Moving from a small town in Wisconsin to the state’s capital was overwhelming and scary. There’s a lot to take in, and I was unsure of what to expect. Looking back, here are six things I wish I knew as a freshman to help make the most of my time at UW-Madison.

1. Get Involved Early

The student organization fair has hundreds of clubs in attendance, and it is a great way to meet new people. I have attended the org fair every year of college, especially because you can snag a lot of free stuff. Getting involved in campus activities and organizations can help you develop skills, build a network and positively impact your college experience. 

2. Time Management is Key

The most important part of college is getting your homework done. That’s why you’re here! Falling behind on classes is very stressful and puts a damper on your social time. 

3. Explore Madison

This city offers so much beauty and diversity, with a wide variety of restaurants and things to do. The farmers market on Saturdays has become one of my favorite things to do on the weekends. Take time to get to know the area off campus and go outside more often.

4. Get to Know Your Professors

Professors are your best resources for understanding course content. They are there to help you! Go to office hours and get to know them. Some of them could even become your friends. They are perfect sources for letters of recommendation and can help you find a job either on or off campus. 

5. Take Care of Your Mental Health First 

Nothing is more important than your health. It’s hard to transition from living at home to living in the dorms or on your own, and many stressors arise when navigating college life. Having to balance this stress with the struggles of classes is not an easy task. I would recommend developing a plan to take time for yourself and to find little joys that you can do every week. I like to have a healthy stress snack option and keep my schedule clear for an hour a day to relax. 

6. Don’t Compare Yourself to Others

It is very important to be yourself. College is not high school, and most of the students in college don’t like to deal with high school drama. Being yourself will allow you to find good, real friendships that can last a lifetime. Also, don’t be afraid to remove people from your life who no longer fit. Do not compromise your values, goals or who you want to be because of the people you want to surround yourself with. 

One lesson that will stick with me is that not everyone is supposed to be in our lives forever. This time in our lives is temporary, and we have to be willing to change. College is a place for personal growth. You will change, your friends will change and it is your responsibility to not let others prevent you from blossoming. College will change you for the better; you just have to stay open to new opportunities. Remember to balance your social life with academics, explore the city and most importantly, have fun.

Genetics and Genomics student at the University of Wisconsin Madison. ACE Certified Personal Trainer