Life > Academics

Paper vs. Pixel: The Guide to Handwritten Notes

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WSU chapter.

You walk into your first day of lecture, and the whole lecture hall is a mix of students taking either handwritten notes or typed notes. Most typed notes are taken on laptops, while handwritten notes are either in a notebook or on an iPad. Different methods work for different people, but what can work best for you?  

While typed notes may sound appealing, they are not the most effective way to support your learning. Typing is faster, so it often leads to notes taken verbatim from the lecture, resulting in decreased information processing. A study by Mueller and Oppenheimer found that, in the absence of verbatim note-taking, people who took handwritten notes retained a significantly higher amount of conceptual information than people who took typed notes. Typing may seem more appealing due to its efficiency, but is it more effective?  

Taking notes with a pencil (or pen, if you prefer) is pretty straightforward. You pick out a notebook you like and take notes as you please. That can include going with the traditional Cornell notes method, or you can do it “your way” (your way being whatever you have found that works for you best).  

What Notes App Should I Use?

When you open your iPad to take handwritten notes with an Apple Pencil, the App Store has an abundance of note-taking apps that may be difficult to choose from. Some may be free, or some may require payment. Each app has its own unique features that can make it the right fit for you. Here are the three top-rated note-taking apps on the App Store:

1. Notability

Notability has both a free and a subscription option, depending on what features you want. If you do choose to subscribe, the app offers many helpful features that make it well worth it. 

Features include:  

• Audio Transcripts and Recording: record and transcribe lectures while taking notes so you don’t miss that small piece of information that may or may not be on the exam.
  • Multi-Note Viewing: allows you to view two pages of notes at once, which may be helpful for referencing lectures or readings while taking notes.
  • Subjects/Dividers: like a folder or binder, great for organization.  
  • Image to Ink: wonderful for taking pictures of text to convert into notes.  
  • Toolbox: save your favorite pens, pencils, highlighters, and other tools for easy access.  

2. Goodnotes

Like Notability, Goodnotes offers free and subscription options. If you are an avid organizer of your notes, Goodnotes might be the right fit for you.  

Features include:

• Folders: folders within folders allow for optimal organization.  
  • Annotation: you can type and write on the same page, mark up PDFs, add elements to the page, and move them as you please.  
  • AI-Powered: features such as Word Complete, Spellcheck, and search-typed or written text within pages.  
  • Audio Recording: synced audio recording while you take notes, similar to Notability.  
  • Smart Learn Review: simple conversion of notes into flashcards for easy studying.  

3. OneNote

Powered by Microsoft, OneNote is a classic note-taking app. While it is more catered towards typed notes, it works wonderfully with handwritten notes. The best part of the app is that it’s completely free and works great paired with OneDrive.  

Features include:

• Notebooks: while organization is limited to notebooks, sections, and pages, it works great for separating notes from different semesters and classes.  
  • Infinite Canvas: no matter how far your notes go, the notebook page can expand as far as you need.  
  • Sharing Notes: through email, you may invite people to collaborate or view your notes in a shared notebook.  
  • Upload PDFs: like Notability and Goodnotes, you can upload PDFs of textbook pages, lecture slideshows, or any other documents you may need to mark up.  
  • Multiple Platforms: you can download OneNote on most devices to view notes virtually anywhere (anywhere with internet, of course!).  

While these aren’t all the note-taking apps available, they have been highly recommended by students for taking notes during lectures. If none of these apps feel like the right fit for you, don’t feel discouraged! I enjoy using OneNote because I am familiar with it, and it works well for uploading PDFs from OneDrive. I have had classmates who also speak highly of Goodnotes and Notability too due to ease of use. There are plenty of other note-taking apps out there waiting for you to explore!

Aspen is a writer for the Her Campus Washington State University chapter. When she isn't writing lab reports, she loves writing about the college experience, outdoor activities, and lifestyle. She is a senior at Washington State University, majoring in neuroscience with minors in psychology and biology. While many of the courses she takes require scientific writing, Aspen also loves to write for fun! She is very interested in writing about the experience of a STEM student, different outdoor activities for college students, and how to maintain physical and mental health during college. Outside of Her Campus, she is also an undergraduate researcher in the Department of Integrative Physiology and Neuroscience, a student mentor in the Team Mentoring Program, a member of Psi Chi, and the public relations officer in Neuroscience Club. She is from Mill Creek, near Seattle, WA, so she loves outdoor activities. Some of these activities include skiing, hiking, rock climbing, and camping. She also loves going to concerts whenever possible, especially rock and metal concerts. Some of her favorite bands include Bring Me the Horizon, Pierce the Veil, The Requiem, and Bad Omens. You will definitely catch her in the pit, on the barrier, or even crowd surfing!