This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

In the journey of life, every passing year offers a unique opportunity for growth, learning, and self-discovery. As I stand on the brink of turning 19, I find myself reflecting on the valuable life lessons that have shaped my perspective and understanding of the world. These 19 lessons, acquired through personal experiences and the wisdom of others, have not only enriched my life but also serve as guiding stars for the adventures that lie ahead. Join me as I share these insights, gleaned from nearly two decades of existence, in the hope that they may resonate with you, too, on your own life’s remarkable voyage.

1. Your comfort zone is your enemy. If you want to achieve your biggest goals in life, you’ll need to get out of your comfort zone. 

2. Starting is the only way to make progress. This is one of the life lessons learned that is worth stating this year. The only way to make progress in every aspect of life is by taking action. No progress happens when you complain. Progress automatically begins when you start. 

3. Life is not fair. In the end, one of the valuable life lessons that everybody learns is that life doesn’t always go the way we want. This can lead to anger and frustration. Most people go through their lives feeling like the world owes them something. However, this is not true. You’ll have to make your way in life. And there’ll always be people who are more knowledgeable than you.

4. All problems have solutions. When you are faced with a problem, it’s always important to put in the time and energy to find a solution. Even if you don’t find the best solution right away, don’t give up. 

5. Don’t allow the voice of your fears to be louder than the other voices in your head. Make sure the voice of reason, the voice of belief, and the voice of confidence are all strong enough to drown it out.

6. Humility. Stay humble and open to learning from others, regardless of their background or status.

7. Mistakes are Learning Opportunities. Don’t fear failure; it’s a stepping stone to success.

8. Lifelong Learning. Recognize that there’s always more to learn, and wisdom often comes from unexpected sources.

9. Mindfulness and Meditation. Practice mindfulness to be fully present and cultivate inner peace through meditation or other contemplative practices.

10. Embrace Change. Change is inevitable. Learning to adapt and even welcoming it can lead to personal growth and new opportunities.

11. Kindness Matters. Small acts of kindness can have a profound impact on others and create a more compassionate world.

12. Take Care of Your Health. Your physical and mental well-being are essential. Prioritize self-care and seek help when needed.

13. Follow Your Passion. Pursuing what you love can lead to a more fulfilling and purposeful life.

14. Don’t Compare Yourself. Comparing yourself to others can lead to insecurity. Focus on your own progress and growth.

15. Forgiveness is Liberating. Holding onto grudges or anger can be toxic. Forgiving others (and yourself) can bring peace and healing.

16. Live with Purpose. Identify your values and passions, then align your actions with them for a more meaningful life.

17. Stay Curious. Maintain a curious mindset; it keeps your mind engaged and encourages exploration.

18. Savor Life’s Simple Pleasures. Enjoy the little things in life – a beautiful sunset, a good book, or a warm cup of tea. These moments bring joy and contentment. 

19. Money Doesn’t Buy Happiness. While financial stability is important, happiness often comes from experiences and relationships, not material possessions.

These lessons aren’t just ideas; they are tools that help us build our character and make good choices in life. Lessons like being strong, understanding others, and discovering who we are make us who we are. But it’s important to know that everyone’s path in life is different. What works for one person might not work for someone else. So, we have to be flexible and adjust these lessons to fit our own values and experiences. As you go through life’s twists and turns, remember that these lessons are like friends helping along the way. With some thought and care, we can adapt and adjust them to create a happy and meaningful life that is uniquely our own.

Second year student at York University majoring in Accounting.